Recipe by Marla Swoffer
I saw a photo of these on a food blog and I can tell it's a keeper, as well as a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Source: Woman's Day
Top Review by shanabee99
This dish is just phenomenal. However, I found that the patties did not stay together very well at first. We had to troubleshoot with the recipe before we got it right. What worked for us? Instead of the cooking oil in the pan, I 86'd that part of the recipe and sprayed cooking spray on the pan and on my spatula so that the mashed potatoes didn't get stuck anywhere. They browned nicely after that. And, man do they taste good! The next time we make this recipe, we're planning on making smaller balls out of the ingredients and deep frying them!
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix patty ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Form into 8 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in each of two medium nonstick skillets (or cook 1 batch at a time in 1 pan).
- Add 4 patties to each pan and cook over medium heat, turning over patties 2-3 times until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until blended. Serve with patties.