Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is my Mom's recipe. Haven't had it in years but it was a rainy night and I had leftover ham. Forgot how wonderful things taste from your childhood! Very easy main dish meal.
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes or 4 -5 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup canned plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray or lightly butter.
- Arrange half of potatoes, green pepper and onion, and ham in dish.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Repeat with remaining half potatoes, peppers, onions and ham.
- Mix soup and milk in seperate container until fairly smooth.
- Pour over casserole.
- Gently move ingredients around so mixture can seep inches.
- Cover and cook for one hour.
- Heat the 1 tablespoons butter in saucepan or microwave until just melted.
- Add bread crumbs and toss to coat.
- Remove lid from casserole and sprinkle with crumbs.
- Continue to cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
I enjoy this recipe and have tried it several times now. I omit the green pepper, not my flavor style. I do think it needs some salt and pepper to taste, and then I like to add a few pinches of dried rosemary in between layers as well. Since I'm usually short on time I have found that if I microwave the potatoes for about 5 minutes prior to slicing, I can cut the cook time to 30 min then add the breadcrumbs and bake an additional 10 minutes. Good recipe overall though thanks for posting.
Didn't care for this at all. The bread crumbs made it too much like a stuffing, the soup made it too thick and the green peppers just didn't do it for me. I prefer a more "scalloped potato" type casserole. Sorry.
Hey There- This was Great! I didnt have cream of Mushroom soup on hand, or whole milk so I chopped up mushrooms to make 1 cup and used 1/4 cup skim milk with 1/4 cup evaporated milk. I also added 1 cup of shredded smoked cheddar cheese-turned out YUMMY and was perfect for a cold fall night-thanks so much for posting. Di