Recipe by Jaymee
This is my Mom's recipe. Haven't had it in years but it was a rainy night and I had leftover ham. Forgot how wonderful things taste from your childhood! Very easy main dish meal.
Top Review by Idge
I enjoy this recipe and have tried it several times now. I omit the green pepper, not my flavor style. I do think it needs some salt and pepper to taste, and then I like to add a few pinches of dried rosemary in between layers as well. Since I'm usually short on time I have found that if I microwave the potatoes for about 5 minutes prior to slicing, I can cut the cook time to 30 min then add the breadcrumbs and bake an additional 10 minutes. Good recipe overall though thanks for posting.
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes or 4 -5 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup canned plain breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray or lightly butter.
- Arrange half of potatoes, green pepper and onion, and ham in dish.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Repeat with remaining half potatoes, peppers, onions and ham.
- Mix soup and milk in seperate container until fairly smooth.
- Pour over casserole.
- Gently move ingredients around so mixture can seep inches.
- Cover and cook for one hour.
- Heat the 1 tablespoons butter in saucepan or microwave until just melted.
- Add bread crumbs and toss to coat.
- Remove lid from casserole and sprinkle with crumbs.
- Continue to cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes.