Recipe by MistressRach
I got this recipe from my MIL- it's easy, filling and delicious- great for cool nights. Can be made with leftover ham or with a thick chunk of deli ham. Feel free to experiment with the amount of cheese (I often add more) and the type- I've been meaning to try it with swiss.
Top Review by um-um-good
This was a great way to use up leftover ham. I sliced the potatoes & layered everything. I omitted the breadcrumbs because my kids aren't fans. I used raw potatoes & cooked it twice as long to cook the potatoes. The salt from the ham gave this so much flavour! It was delicious!
- 354.88 ml cubed cooked ham
- 709.77 ml cubed cooked potatoes
- 59.16 ml butter, divided
- 1 small minced onion
- 44.37 ml flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- 118.29 ml at least grated cheddar cheese
- breadcrumbs, to top
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the ham and potatoes into a 1.5 qt baking dish. Set aside.
- Melt 3 tbs butter in pan, add onion and cook till clear.
- Blend in flour and milk and stir until thickened.
- Pour over potatoes and ham.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs, and dot with butter.
- Bake at 400* for 20 minutes.