I had the best Home Ec teacher in Jr & Sr High School, Mrs. Carol Renfro. This woman really knew how to cook and how to teach others how to cook as well. This was one of our first recipes we had to make once we started cooking. I still have my original recipe card (did I really used to write like that?!) and we have this often. I hope you will enjoy this as much as we do! Prep time does not include times to cook ham or potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes
- 2 cups white sauce (recipe below)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1Cook potatoes in your favorite method (bake or boil) till done. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- 2While potatoes are cooling, prepare white sauce.
- 3Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- 4Stir in flour to form thick paste. Continue to cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute (this allows the flour taste too cook out).
- 5Slowly add half 'n half and continue to stir over medium-low heat until sauce this thickened.
- 6Add mustard, salt, pepper, onion & 1/2 cup cheese to the sauce. Stir to incorporate and remove from heat.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 8Spray 2 quart casserole with PAM or your choice of no-stick cooking spray.
- 9Dice the cooked ham (left over ham is great for this recipe).
- 10Peel and dice the potatoes (approximately 1/2" pieces).
- 11Place the potatoes in casserole dish in an even layer.
- 12Spread ham pieces over the top of the potatoes.
- 13Add remaining cheese to the white sauce and give a final stir (this last addition of cheese should not melt right away) and pour over the ham and potatoes.
- 14Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 771.1
- Calories from Fat 489
- Total Fat 54.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.2 g
- Cholesterol 161.9 mg
- Sodium 1058.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 35.7 g