Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I had the best Home Ec teacher in Jr & Sr High School, Mrs. Carol Renfro. This woman really knew how to cook and how to teach others how to cook as well. This was one of our first recipes we had to make once we started cooking. I still have my original recipe card (did I really used to write like that?!) and we have this often. I hope you will enjoy this as much as we do! Prep time does not include times to cook ham or potatoes.
- Cook potatoes in your favorite method (bake or boil) till done. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- While potatoes are cooling, prepare white sauce.
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour to form thick paste. Continue to cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute (this allows the flour taste too cook out).
- Slowly add half 'n half and continue to stir over medium-low heat until sauce this thickened.
- Add mustard, salt, pepper, onion & 1/2 cup cheese to the sauce. Stir to incorporate and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray 2 quart casserole with PAM or your choice of no-stick cooking spray.
- Dice the cooked ham (left over ham is great for this recipe).
- Peel and dice the potatoes (approximately 1/2" pieces).
- Place the potatoes in casserole dish in an even layer.
- Spread ham pieces over the top of the potatoes.
- Add remaining cheese to the white sauce and give a final stir (this last addition of cheese should not melt right away) and pour over the ham and potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.