1 hr 5 mins
Great breakfast fare for company. Or serve as a side dish on the Holidays. From Fine Cooking magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus more for the pan)
- 3 cups whole milk
- kosher salt
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb good quality cooked ham, chopped
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 2 ounces asiago cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a 6 cup oval baking dish.
- 2Bring milk and 1/2 teaspoons salt to simmer in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the polenta. Continue whisking until thick, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- 3Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 12" skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and soft, about 15 minutes. Add the ham and stir often until warmed through, about 3 minutes,.
- 4Stir the ham mixture, cheeses, egg yolks, basil, oregano, thyme, hot pepper sauce, 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoons pepper into the polenta and mix well.
- 5In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the polenta and then spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into pieces and dot on top.
- 6Bake until brown and puffed, 30-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving with a large spoon.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Polenta Spoonbread
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.9
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 152.0 mg
- Sodium 256.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: