Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An all-in-one stovetop meal that tastes good and rhymes, too ;)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb diced cooked ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the onions for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour until well blended. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk; stir well.
- Add in the cheeses, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook and stir until smooth, hot and thickened.
- Stir in the ham, peas and cooked/drained macaroni.
- Stir well until heated through.
The amount of Swiss was too powerful for a toddler's palate. The recipe is good though I think if I make it again i'll halve the amount of Swiss cheese and add Gouda.
Supper yummy! I used broccoli instead of peas and it turned out great! Thanks!
I made this on 4/4/08 for our dinner and for "Spring PAC 2008".I followed the the recipe exactly as written,except I only made half since were only two of us.I wasn't sure what type of mustard this called for, so ground was used.The dish was finished up in the oven to give it more of a "crusty top".This was very good the night we had it and the leftovers reheheated very well the next day.This wil be made again.Thanks for posting and,"Keep Smiling :)"