Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
My family favorite southern meal.
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 plum tomatoes (diced)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup v- 8 vegetable juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 lb ham steak
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter and diced onions.
- Cook onions until translucent, turn heat to low.
- Stir in V-8 juice and sugar, cover.
- In a deep frying pan over medium heat add butter and ham.
- Brown ham on both sides, then add tomatoes, okra and V-8 and onions.
- Stir, cover and simmer on low heat.
- Cook 2 cups of rice according to package directions.
- After rice is cooked, place on platter. Remove ham steak, cut in four pieces and lay on top on top of rice.
- Pour tomato and okra mixture on rice and ham.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.