Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Need a simple casserole sure to please the kids? I served this to friends who later left for Kenya...their girls were pining for it overseas, and you can bet I served it to them again when they returned to the States for a visit! (Talk about easy to please!) Nothing gourmet here, just yummy and great with salad and crispy garlic bread. (Recipe via my sister, who says she got it from Southern Living way back when...)
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Place half of noodles in buttered 2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine ham and cheese; sprinkle half of ham mixture over noodles.
- In small bowl, combine soup and milk.
- Spoon half of soup mixture over ham layer.
- Then again: noodles, ham/cheese, soup.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Simple and good. I made some alterations to the recipe. Added salt and pepper based on the other reviews. Also mixed onions and garlic (cooked quickly in a fry pan) into the c/chicken mix and substituted 1/2 and 1/2 instead of milk (it's what I had).
Then I threw in a can of Ortega, green Chilis (the little can) into the soup mix too.
I added mixed vegetables while my wife said, "You're adding more stuff?! You're wrecking it... Blah, blah, blah." ... But it was Great. Thanks.
Very tasty and a nice way to use up leftover ham. I used Monterey Jack cheese in place of cheddar. I served with biscuits and steamed peas for a quick evening meal.
A good and solid every day meal for the family, liked by both adults and kids and great way to use left over ham. I used cream of mushroom soup instead of chicken, as I only had mushroom. Next time I will make it with chicken. Still very good. I did not have egg noodles so I substituted the noodles with penne pasta which also worked well.