Recipe by joan in CNY
With all the discussions about ham lately, thought some would like my favorite casserole using leftover ham. I cut it off a package of noodles years ago.
Top Review by Ladydaungerous
Comfort food! This is good but a little heavy -- would be just right for a cold winter day. I substituted horseradish sauce for horseradish, which may have been what was intended (where would you even buy horseradish?). I used plain yellow mustard and left out the breadcrumbs because I don't like them. By the way, I needed a slightly larger casserole dish than the instructions say. Oh, and it didn't say whether to bake covered or uncovered, so I baked uncovered and it turned out well. This casserole is definitely not lite, with lots of cheese.
- 8 ounces uncooked extra wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 lb ham, finely chopped
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard (I use dijon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Combine ham, cheese,green pepper,soup, milk, horseradish, mustard and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in noodles.
- Turn into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with dry bread crumbs and drizzle with melted butter or margarine.
- Bake in 325°F oven for 30 minutes.