1/1 Photo of Ham and Manchego Croquetas With Smoked Paprika Aioli
24 hrs 15 mins
Addictive ham and nutty Manchego cheese croquetas (I call them croquettes) that can be made ahead and quickly fried at the last minute. This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack by Sonali aka The Foodie Physician.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Serrano Ham and Manchego Croquetas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup serrano ham (about 1.8 oz.) or 1/3 cup prosciutto, finely chopped (about 1.8 oz.)
- 1/3 cup grated manchego cheese (about 1.8 oz..)
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Smoked Pimenton Aioli
- 1Heat the oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Add the flour and cook 1-2 minutes while whisking frequently. Gradually add the milk while whisking and continue to cook another 2-3 minutes. The mixture should be smooth. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir in the ham, cheese and nutmeg. Cook another 1-2 minutes while stirring. The mixture will pull away from the sides of the pan. Taste the mixture and add Kosher salt if desired. If the ham and cheese are salty so you probably won’t need to add any additional salt.
- 2Transfer the mixture to an 8x8-inch baking tray and spread it out so that it is even. Let the mixture cool, then cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 3When ready to cook the croquettes, lightly beat the eggs in a shallow dish. Mix the panko and 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt in another dish. Scoop up tablespoons of the cooled filling and form them into balls. Dip each ball into the egg and then the panko. Place the completed croquettes on a wire rack or baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes. The croquettes must be chilled before frying otherwise they may fall apart in the oil.
- 4Meanwhile, make the aioli by pureeing the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and smoked paprika in a blender or mini food processor. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 5Pour enough vegetable oil into a large stockpot to reach a depth of 1 inch and heat over medium high heat. Working in batches, fry the croquettes in the oil, turning them on all sides, until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with the smoked paprika aioli.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Manchego Croquetas With Smoked Paprika Aioli
Serving Size: 1 (663 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.1
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.7 mg
- Sodium 137.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: