Recipe by lauralie41
I found this recipe when joining a crockpot recipe group on yahoo. Have not made this yet but it sounds very good especially with the addition of the spinach. A great idea for those cold winter days!
Top Review by Redox
This was pretty decent; a bit bland for our tastes but easily fixable. My wife and I ate it the first night after following the recipe precisely, save for cutting the amount of spinach. The flavor improves as do many soups after a night in the 'fridge. It's amazing how much a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes improved the flavor. I also added Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and at the very end, additional salt to taste. I'm sorry I didn't measure the additions or I'd include them for anyone who'd want them. Next time I'll quantify the additions for anyone who might find them helpful. The 4 stars is for the recipe as written, with the the changes, I'd give it 5 stars. Of course, everyone perceives tastes differently and I'm sure others would prefer the recipe as written. Thanks for posting this.
- 3 cups ham, diced
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- lemon slice, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 1/2-quart or larger crock pot mix all the ingredients together, except the spinach and lemon juice.
- Cover pot and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 7 to 9 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Add spinach and stir, cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, mix well, and serve.