Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
budget friendly and oamc friendly.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Assembly Directions:
- Place the lentils in a colander. Examine the beans and remove dirt or stones. Rinse and drain the beans.
- Slow cooker: Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Stovetop: Place all ingredients in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Freezing Directions:
- Allow the soup to cool. Package the soup in meal sized portions. Large plastic freezer containers and freezer bags work well. Seal, label and freeze.
- Serving Directions:.
- Thaw and reheat.
- This is a very filling soup that we love to make in the autumn and winter. We serve it with a salad and some crusty bread.
LOVE is budget friendly, SO easy to do! Healthy and nutritious too! Added spiced pepper, had red pepper in hand, TRUE! Next time might add a potatoe or two! THANKS!