Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Breakfast casserole with potatoes and ham in a creamy sauce.
Make and share this Ham and Hash Brown Casserole Cheesy recipe from Food.com.
- 1. Preheat oven to 375*F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix hash browns, ham, cream of potato soup, sour cream, and Cheddar cheese. Spread evenly into prepared dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly brown. Serve immediately.
- My Note: I made it this past weekend. He loved it. Instead of using the sharp cheddar, I used medium cheddar. I also added 1/4c red bell peppers, 1/4c green bell peppers, and 1/4c onions, and 1/4c mushrooms. Also after I serve this onto a plate, I grate some fresh parmesean cheese to give it a little kick. The peppers added such a wonderful flavor to this dish. This is going to be a favorite for a long time.
- Don't subsitute cream of chicken or celery soup for the cream of potato. It's a key ingredient and worth the trip to the market to get it if you don't have it on hand.
- I did cover loosely with foil after about 20 minutes when it looked like the edges were browning too early, but next time I'm just going to let it go. I didn't think a cup of ham would be enough or that this would actually serve 12, but it was just right. I used diced hash browns instead of the shreds, and shredded parmesan from a bag instead of the shaker can. Next time I might throw in some chopped jalapenos or green chiles for more zip -- bacon crumbles would be good too. Breakfast burrito idea for leftovers also sounds fabulous!
- I made this for a church group and got rave good reviews, and many recipe requests. I agreed with other reviewers that it was very salty, if you can use any low sodium ingredients do so. To the reviewer whose results were soupy, I wonder if you might have used ready to serve, rather than condensed soup. Thanks for the reviewer this recipe! This is an addition to my original review. I recently made this again, I omitted the Parmesan cheese, instead topping it with an additional handful of cheddar. This eliminated the salt problem! Wonderful stuff, try it you will be pleased!