Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the July 2007 issue of Cooking Light.
- 2 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 4 ounces low-sodium and low-fat ham, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine milk, flour, salt and black pepper, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in milk mixture; bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup of cheese, stirring until smooth.
- Arrange half of potatoes in an 11x7" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half of sauce over potatoes; top evenly with ham.
- Top with remaining potatoes and remaining sauce; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.