Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great brunch dish with a definite southern flavor. No crust to make so its easy!
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1⁄3 cup quick cooking yellow grits, raw
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- Bring water and 1/4 t.
- salt to a boil.
- Add grits, stir and remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk, ham, cheese, mustard, hot sauce and eggs and stir to mix well.
- Pour mixture into a greased quiche pan or deep dish pie pan.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Let stand for 5- 10 minutes before serving.
Rich and delicious with great flavor. It needed to be a bit firmer, and some folks (kids) didn't especially like the grits in it. However, as a change from regular old quiche, the adults thought this was great. I used a bit of Trader Joe's Vintage Reserve cheddar cheese in this which was fabulous. The hot sauce is not overpowering but provides a nice base. This is comfort food, and I'm glad I gave it a whirl!