Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from the Almond Board of California
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 0.5 (17 1/4 ounce) boxfrozen puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups cooked ham, chunks
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Spread almonds in shallow pan. Toast at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until almonds are a light, golden brown, stirring once or twice; cool.
- Thaw 1 sheet puff pastry, 20 minutes. Unfold; cut into four rounds or squares with a sharp knife. Brush tops with egg white; sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup cheese. Place on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden; set aside.
- Saute celery, onion and garlic in butter. Stir in flour. Blend in white wine and cook, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.
- Blend in mustard and thyme. Fold in ham, eggs, peas, red pepper, remaining 1 cup Swiss cheese and cream. Cook over low heat until cheese melts, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup almonds.
- To serve, spoon sauce into individual bakers and top with almond-cheese puff or serve ham mixture over almond-cheese puffs.