Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Melt-in-your-mouth baked croissant sandwiches of thinly sliced ham, Swiss cheese, and a delicious buttery Dijon and poppy-seed sauce! Perfect for luncheons or entertaining, or packed into picnic lunches; great served warm, or at room temperature. Use as much ham and cheese as you like! Sandwiches are easily made up in advance and individually wrapped in foil, then refrigerated or frozen (use a freezer bag) for later use. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then bake as directed. Or, if frozen, bake at 300 F for about 1/2 hour until warm. If using mini-rolls, you may place them in a buttered baking dish and bake for the specified amount of time (no need to individually wrap)--I've also microwaved them. Enjoy!
- 8 freshly baked croissants or 8 hawaiian sweet dinner rolls, split
- 1⁄2 cup butter, very soft
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onions
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 8 thin slices virginia ham
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter with the Dijon, chopped onion, and poppyseeds.
- Spread generously onto both (inner) sides of the split croissants.
- Place one slice each of ham and Swiss cheese into each croissant, and replace tops.
- Wrap each croissant or Hawaiian roll in a square of foil, sealing carefully. At this point sandwiches may be baked right away, or refrigerate or freeze (use a freezer bag) for later use.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 15-20 minutes, until hot. If frozen, bake at 300 F for about 25-30 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve hot, or at room temperature. Good sides are soup or salad, and fresh fruit for dessert.
- NOTE: If using mini-rolls, you may bake them in a buttered baking dish (no need to individually wrap).
These are terrific. I just made some for lunch and my kids devoured them, when coming home from school today. Thank you for such a good recipe.
My mother in law makes this, but just uses small kaiser rolls. This is a great recipe, easy to make ahead and great to have on hand. Kids and adults love these!
That is an awful lot of butter peaking out there!!