Recipe by TheDancingCook
This soup is creamy as well as hearty and filling; easy to prepare and budget-friendly. The corn adds a tiny bit of sweetness to the taste. For variety, you could probably add some peas and/or carrots; shredded cheddar for topping upon serving. Add some nice warm bread to accompany the meal. This recipe is courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine, a 2nd place winner in a soup contest.
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, cooked and diced small
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water; meanwhile peel and dice potatoes.
- Boil for about 10-15 minutes (soft but not too mushy).
- Meanwhile, dice up ham, onion, celery.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until softened.
- Stir in the flour and stir until well blended, then gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil while stirring until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until heated through.