1/2 Photos of Ham and Corn Chowder
This soup is creamy as well as hearty and filling; easy to prepare and budget-friendly. The corn adds a tiny bit of sweetness to the taste. For variety, you could probably add some peas and/or carrots; shredded cheddar for topping upon serving. Add some nice warm bread to accompany the meal. This recipe is courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine, a 2nd place winner in a soup contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, cooked and diced small
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1Boil water; meanwhile peel and dice potatoes.
- 2Boil for about 10-15 minutes (soft but not too mushy).
- 3Meanwhile, dice up ham, onion, celery.
- 4In a large saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until softened.
- 5Stir in the flour and stir until well blended, then gradually add milk.
- 6Bring to a boil while stirring until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- 7Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.9
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 44.5 mg
- Sodium 296.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 15.9 g