Top Review by WiGal
Deliciousio! I used a different bread and instead of pickles (DH does not like pickles) I put in some fresh pineapple chunks and that was yummy and more importantly made him happy. LOL! I did not have enough cabbage so I also grated some carrot to go into the slaw mixture. Thanks for sharing another keeper. Made for ZWT4 the Flying Dutchess'.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman’s)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- softened butter
- 3⁄4 lb sliced black forest ham (or other good-quality ham)
- 4 slices thin large dill pickles
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mayonnaise with vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Add cabbage and coat well.
- Butter bread – this is important as the butter makes a ‘lining’ to prevent the bread from getting too soggy, and it tastes good too.
- Layer ham and slaw on bread.
- Top with a dill pickle slice.