Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman’s)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- softened butter
- 3⁄4 lb sliced black forest ham (or other good-quality ham)
- 4 slices thin large dill pickles
- Combine mayonnaise with vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Add cabbage and coat well.
- Butter bread – this is important as the butter makes a ‘lining’ to prevent the bread from getting too soggy, and it tastes good too.
- Layer ham and slaw on bread.
- Top with a dill pickle slice.
Deliciousio! I used a different bread and instead of pickles (DH does not like pickles) I put in some fresh pineapple chunks and that was yummy and more importantly made him happy. LOL! I did not have enough cabbage so I also grated some carrot to go into the slaw mixture. Thanks for sharing another keeper. Made for ZWT4 the Flying Dutchess'.
Made these for lunch yesterday, and everyone was well pleased. I've used the mayo combination before, as a salad dressing. Never thought to use it for my slaw dressing as well. The rye pumpernickel was a great choice for this sammie. And the buttered bread was inspired! Never thought to use it as a lining. Will use it again on other "wet" sandwiches. Thnx so much for posting this, evelyn. Made for ZWT4.
My kind of sandwich. I went for the cabbage option because you can't get slaw mixes here and the coleslaw was nice on its on as well on the sandwich. I did go for brown bread too because I have never seen pumpernickel on British shelves. I have ham and coleslaw sandwiches before but I particularly liked this because of the lack of onions in the coleslaw as I am not a fan of raw onion and that tends to take away from my enjoyment of the sandwich. I used splenda, fat free mayo and low fat margarine to actually make this fairly healthy too. Made for ZWT4.