Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great appetizer that is sure to please and simple to make...serve with dipping sauces to suit.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 slices ham (large slice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 spring roll wrappers
- flour, for dusting
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- oil, for deep frying
- Place one chicken breast between plastic wrap or freezer bags and bash it until it is nice and thin -- repeat with the other breast.
- Mix the pepper, five spice and crushed garlic.
- Sprinkle the mixture over both breasts.
- Roll up one slice of ham and place it on the chicken breast.
- Roll the chicken up firmly and fold the ends under.
- Whisk the egg and milk together.
- Coat the chicken with flour (easiest in a freezer bag) shake off the excess.
- Dip in the egg mixture -- shake of the excess.This step will stop the chicken from separating from the spring roll wrapper.
- Place the chicken "roll" diagonally across the spring roll wrapper. Brush some of the egg mixture on the ends of the wrapper.
- Roll the chicken, tucking the ends in as you roll.
- Deep fry in oil until golden brown and cooked through. Don't have the oil too hot -- otherwise the spring roll wrappers will brown before the chicken is cooked.
- Drain on paper towels and then cut on the diagonal.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with dipping sauces.
- Serve with your favourite sauce.
Made these for my daughter's baby shower and boy did they go over well. Going to make them again this weekend for family game night.
How could I not give this delectable recipe anything but 5 stars. Was going to post it only to find it was already here. I have been making this since July 1980 and it has never failed us. The only thing I add is some finely sliced spring onion (scallion) and sometimes a sprinkle of dried mixed herbs as well in the centre with the ham. We serve it with a sweet and sour sauce. Delicious. We normally serve this as a main and allow 1 roll per person served with rice and stir fry vegetables.
The recipe was good, it could have used more ingredients than just ham and chicken. There could be a specific sauce to put on top of the rolls.