Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Using Kittencal's Hamburger/Burger Buns I have tried other dough recipes and this one works the best. These twists are a special treat for my family's lunches.
- Following the great directions of Kittencal's bun recipe after the first rise punch dough down.
- Cut into 16 equal pieces.
- Form a thin ropes making sure the dough has an even thickness that measures 16 inches in length.
- Cut deli ham into strips to fit over dough.
- Fold dough ropes in half and take each end and twist 4 times.
- Roll in grated cheese.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. May need two baking sheets or more depending on the size of your sheets. Leave space between each twist.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
These were so good. My kids loved these in their lunch this week. They also enjoyed helping me make them. What a nice change from the everyday sandwich. Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Fall/2008.
These are awesome!! I thought I would have a problem with the ham but didn't. What I did have a problem with was the cheese, it did not stick to the dough. But that was no problem, about 5 minutes before I took them out of the oven I sprinkled the cheese over them. I used Quick Soft Breadsticks so I don't know if that would be the problem. I will make these again and try Kittencal's bun recipe! I have so many ideas of what else to put in these, like pepperoni and mozzarella cheese, then DS can dip it in sauce!! These is a great recipe, Calee!! Thanks for posting.
My daughter doesn't like sandwiches (makes lunch bags difficult!) but gave the "go-ahead" when she saw your photo. I used Butterhorn Bread Machine Rolls (since I had it on hand) and it worked really well, since it makes really puffy rolls I didn't even need to let rise for the second time). They turned out like your photo, too! This is the third day I've put them in my daughter's lunch and I haven't heard any complaints. Thanks Calee! Roxygirl