Leslie in Texas's Note:
I found this yummy recipe in a November 1987 issue of Bon Appetit in a "Fall Family Meals" article. It was included as part of a New Orleans Brunch for Six Menu. Soaking time for bread is not included in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 slices firm coarse textured white bread (1 inch thick)
- 3 cups extra-rich milk
- 3 eggs, beaten to blend
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brandy or 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 slices sharp cheddar cheese, preferably white (1 ounce each)
- 6 slices baked ham (2 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or more)
- powdered sugar
Warm Apricot Syrup
- 1For French Toast.
- 2Dry bread slices at room temperature on wire rack for 1 hour.
- 3Whisk next 9 ingredients (Milk through nutmeg) in large bowl until smooth.
- 4Pour batter into 2 large rectangular baking dishes.
- 5Arrange 6 bread slices in each dish; let stand until batter is absorbed, at least 1 hour; do not turn bread over. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead, covered and refrigerated.).
- 6Cut cheese and ham slices to fit bread.
- 7Set 6 cheese slices on 6 bread slices;top with ham; cover with remaining cheese.
- 8Using spatula, place remaining bread dry side down atop ham.
- 9Melt 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons oil in each of 2 heavy skillets over medium heat.
- 10Place 3 sandwiches in each skillet and fry until outsides are crisp and golden brown and cheese has melted, adding more oil if necessary, about 5 minutes per side.
- 11Transfer to platter and dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately with warm syrup.
- 12For Warm Apricot Syrup:.
- 13Cook all ingredients in heavy small saucepan over low heat until preserves are melted and flavors blended, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Stuffed French Toast With Warm Apricot Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 954.8
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 216.6 mg
- Sodium 1271.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 42.7 g
- Protein 29.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: