Recipe by ChefDLH
This is a recipe that I found in Paula Deen's special magazine publication May/June 2009. It is the party issue. This recipe was inhaled by guests and family at our house. It is definitely time consuming so plan on it taking more time than you think but it is worth it. It is definitely a keeper flavor wise as the caramelized onions bring out the ham and cheeses. The honey mustard mayo is a great undercurrent. Great for parties and gatherings like baby showers, showers, brunches, etc. Enjoy! ChefDLH
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) boxfrozen puff pastry sheets, thawed (17.3 oz)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) packagemini cubed ham (drained and divided)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions; reduce heat to medium- low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium high.
- Continue cooking onions, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are caramel colored.
- Stir in vinegar, and remove from heat; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll 1 sheet puff pastry into a 16x10 inch rectangle.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Using the times of a fork, prick a 1/4 inch border around the edge of the pastry.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolk; lightly brush over border of pastry. Prick remaining pastry with the tines of a fork in the 1/8 inch intervals.
- Repeat procedure with remaining pastry and beaten egg yolk.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl combine mayo and mustard. Spread evenly over each baked pastry.
- Top each evenly with ham and cheeses.
- Spread caramelized onions evenly over cheeses.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.
- Serve immediately.