1/2 Photos of Ham and Cheese Strudels Appetizer ( Paula Deen)
1 hr 12 mins
This is a recipe that I found in Paula Deen's special magazine publication May/June 2009. It is the party issue. This recipe was inhaled by guests and family at our house. It is definitely time consuming so plan on it taking more time than you think but it is worth it. It is definitely a keeper flavor wise as the caramelized onions bring out the ham and cheeses. The honey mustard mayo is a great undercurrent. Great for parties and gatherings like baby showers, showers, brunches, etc. Enjoy! ChefDLH
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) box frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed (17.3 oz)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) package mini cubed ham (drained and divided)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions; reduce heat to medium- low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Uncover and increase heat to medium high.
- 3Continue cooking onions, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are caramel colored.
- 4Stir in vinegar, and remove from heat; set aside.
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 6Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 7On a lightly floured surface roll 1 sheet puff pastry into a 16x10 inch rectangle.
- 8Place on prepared baking sheet.
- 9Using the times of a fork, prick a 1/4 inch border around the edge of the pastry.
- 10In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolk; lightly brush over border of pastry. Prick remaining pastry with the tines of a fork in the 1/8 inch intervals.
- 11Repeat procedure with remaining pastry and beaten egg yolk.
- 12Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13In a small bowl combine mayo and mustard. Spread evenly over each baked pastry.
- 14Top each evenly with ham and cheeses.
- 15Spread caramelized onions evenly over cheeses.
- 16Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- 17Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.
- 18Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Strudels Appetizer ( Paula Deen)
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.2
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 42.7 mg
- Sodium 417.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 9.1 g