Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is yummy comfort food and a great way to use up leftover ham. I don't know where this recipe came from, it's one that my mother made a lot when I was a child.
- 18 slices of thin sandwich bread
- 12 slices American cheese
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb finely chopped cooked ham (2 C. loosely packed)
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Place 6 slices of the bread in a 13"x9" inch baking pan or dish.
- Top with 6 cheese slices, half of the onions, and half of the ham.
- Top with 6 slices of bread, 6 slices of cheese and remaining onions and ham.
- Top with 6 slices of bread.
- Combine eggs, milk and seasonings.
- Pour over the strata, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Bake at 300° for 1 1/2 hours.
- Top each cheese stack with a tomato slice during the last 20 minutes in the oven.
This is an excellent dish. I can see putting it together the night before and having it for breakfast the next morning. Preparation was straight forward and simple. I can see making this again. Thanks for sharing.
Ohhh, this was Good! For breakfast or for a Sunday brunch this is hard to beat. The flavors all blend together for a mouthwatering treat. Truly delicious! I will be making this again soon for sure. Thanks for sharing this little gem.
I'm liking this, but it seemed to need something. DW & DD put ketchup on it which appalled me. I'm thinking the addition of a cream sauce maybe? Will definitely make again, but will tweek it a bit. Thanks for posting!