Recipe by lauralie41
This strata, from my favorite new casserole cookbook, can be rustic down home comfort food or dressed up for a sophisticated brunch dish. The gruyere cheese with the touch of pear, apple and raisins makes this traditional dish something special.
Top Review by Nif
Nice brunch dish! It is sweet and savoury and balances out very nicely. I chose to use the cinnamon raisin bread, Black Forest ham, some white and green onion, pear and old cheddar. Next time I would use a little less milk, and more of the mustard and Worcestershire. I made this as listed but had to bake it for the uncovered stage for 1 hour instead of 25 minutes. I will make this again with a couple of little changes - it was YUMMY! Made for Kittencal's Green tag. Thanks Lauralie41! :)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (optional)
- 8 slices cinnamon raisin bread or 8 slices white bread, 1/2 inch thick, rustic
- 6 ounces ham, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, 1/2 medium, finely chopped
- 1 small pears or 1 small tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup gruyere cheese, 4 ounces shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly butter 1 side of each bread slice using the 2 tablespoons of softened butter or omit this step if desired.
- Top 4 slices of bread, buttered side up, evenly with ham and place the other 4 slices of bread buttered side down on top of ham.
- Quarter each sandwich forming 4 triangles and place in a buttered 2-quart baking dish, arrange triangles pointed sides up.
- Sprinkle chopped onion, pear or apple, and cheese over triangles.
- In a medium bowl, add milk, eggs, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Whisk together and carefully pour over triangles in baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours or overnight.
- In a 350 degree oven, bake covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake approximately 25 minutes longer or until puffed and golden brown and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Prep and Cooking time does not include 2-24 hour chilling time.