Prep 18 mins
Cook 20 mins
A good nutritious breakfast-on-the-go. Weight-watchers points per serving-4. The recipe comes from weight-watchers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole-grain wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine, chilled,cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (can use regular cheese)
- 1⁄3 cup cooked ham, sliced,cubed,or shredded,finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a metal baking sheet with cooking and set aside.
- Combine first 2 Flours, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut in margarine with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal; stir in cheese and ham.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg whites with a fork.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Place dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 5 to 6 times.
- Place dough on baking sheet and pat into 8-inch circle; cut dough into 8 wedges; Separate a little.
- Bake until slightly browned; about 20 minutes.
Fabulous !! My house smells wonderful, and the taste is even better!!! So simple to make, too!! I didn't have any whole wheat flour, so I just used regular (unbleached, all purpose) flour--the taste is still fabulous!! This will be a regular 'on the go' breakfast for me..couldn't be easier to make! thanks a million for posting!! TERESA
Great texture and appearance. I used sharp cheddar, brushed the top with a little melted butter before baking. It took about 25 minutes. The best for great breakfast scones. Going to try this with cheddar and jalapenos for white chili side dish. Thanks for posting.
I, too, used all white flour. Instead of the ham, I diced about 1/2 lb good smoked bacon and cooked it, before I added it to the dough. I used skim milk that I soured with vinegar, instead of buttermilk. My SO loved them!!! He always says everything I cook is "the best ever", so I took a couple in to work, while they were still warm. my co-workers echoed my SO's sentiments that they are "the best ever".