Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped ham (about 3 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, baking powder,sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in cheese and ham.
- Combine buttermilk and egg whites,stirring with a whisk.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 to 5 times with floured hands.
- Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Cut dough into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through dough.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Love these! I made them with rosemary ham and aged cheddar and the flavour was perfect. I used a gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill all purpose) as per my household needs and they were very well received. Thank you.
Sorry, but these really lacked flavor. I've never made scones before. These turned out okay...they weren't bad, they just weren't good. DH didn't like them at all, though. Wish I would've followed my instincts and added some herbs for more flavor. I followed the recipe exactly except had to use milk/lemon juice in place of buttermilk.
Loved it! Its been a long time since I made scones but this one was really good. I did not have buttermilk so I substituted with one part plain yogurt to two parts milk. I also used asiago cheese. I liked the little bit of heat. I froze mine to take to work for lunch or mid morning snack.