Top Review by fitnessfanatic
Love these! I made them with rosemary ham and aged cheddar and the flavour was perfect. I used a gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill all purpose) as per my household needs and they were very well received. Thank you.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped ham (about 3 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, baking powder,sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in cheese and ham.
- Combine buttermilk and egg whites,stirring with a whisk.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 to 5 times with floured hands.
- Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Cut dough into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through dough.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.