From Eating Well magazine March/April 2007. This is a simple dinner. All you need to add is a vegetable and dinner is on the table in under a half hour. This would also work well for a nice and easy brunch.
- Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in ham, 1/2 cup cheese, shallot, rosemary, pepper, and salt. Add frozen potatoes and stir to combine.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- When oil is hot (test with a drop of water; oil should sputter, but should not be smoking), pat potato mixture into an even round in the pan. Cover and cook until browned and crispy on the bottom, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Place a rimless baking sheet on top. Wearing oven mitts, grasp the pan and baking sheet together and carefully invert, umolding the rosti onto the baking sheet.
- Wipe out any browned bits from the skillet.
- Return it to the heat and add the remaining oil. Slide rosti back into the pan, browned side up.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, cover and cook the second side until crispy and browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Slide onto a platter and let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.