Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This was a daily staple of The Market Fare. It's a satisfying, filling main dish, that uses "normal" ingredients. Even the crust--my mother's recipe--is easy to make.
- PIE CRUST:.
- In mixing bowl, place flour.
- Add salt. Mix to combine.
- Cut in shortening till crumbs are the size of croutons.
- Add water.
- Mix with fork till well blended (yes, that's all there is to it!).
- Roll out on lightly floured dough board to about 1/16" to 1/8" thickness.
- Wrap dough around your rolling pin and unroll it over your pie pan, making sure it covers the edges of the pan.
- Press dough down into the crevices of the pie pan (it'll shrink when baking).
- Trim edges, and flute, if you wish.
- Place in 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, just till the pie shell is a bit dry.
- Remove from oven, and using a plastic spatula, press out the bubbles.
- Set pie crust aside.
- Mix all filling ingredients together till well blended.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Place on center rack, in 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or till knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let set 5 minutes.
- Serve with green salad and a fruit cup.