Recipe by wife2abadge
From Taste of Home. I cut this recipe into fourths and five of us ate it Christmas morning with leftovers. I used Muenster cheese and cut it very small. All of us (including 2 picky kids) really liked it.
- 2 lbs Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups ham, fully cooked and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs muenster cheese or 1 1⁄2 lbs monterey jack cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 16 eggs
- 7 cups skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup prepared mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss bread, ham, and cheese; divide between two greased 13-in x 9-in baking dishes.
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; transfer to a bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, and mustard; mix well.
- Pour over bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.