Recipe by Dib's
This pie doubles as a formal dinner or picnic dish. It is our favorite savory pie. I don't know where the original came from-somewhere down south but I have added more onion, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne and cheese. Also the original called for regular deli ham-holy salt-it just about killed us! So here you go and by the way I like it best cold.
Top Review by lets.eat
Taste was great, loved the nutmeg. Unfortuntely, even though I let this rest for a good 30 min. before slicing and it was terribly runny and my DS's refused to eat it. This needed a much longer cooling down time for it to firm up. To save time I nuked the potato instead of boiling.
- 1 large baking potato
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 3 -4 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups ground low-salt ham (I buy a 1 1/2 inch slice from the deli-and then another 1/2 inch slice just in case)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I like sharp)
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (you want a sturdy crust)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Boil potato-meanwhile cook onion in butter until soft and light brown.
- In a large bowl beat potato.
- Add to this the onion, beaten egg, mustard and cloves.
- Mix well.
- Fold in ham, 1/2 of the cheese and cheese sauce.
- At this point taste to see if you need a bit of salt-most likely you won't.
- Turn into deep pastry lined pie plate.
- Top with remaining crust, crimp and seal.
- Bake on the lowest rack at 450 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 min.
- Top crust with remaining cheese and cook for about 15 min more.
- Remove and let stand for 20 minutes or chill and serve cold.
- Cheese Sauce Directions Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in flour and spices and cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk.
- Return to heat and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese and cook until melted.