This is a fun twist of the sandwich classic, by Grace Parisi for Food and Wine Magazine. She makes this ham salad mixed with crunchy rye bread croutons and little bits of Gruyere cheese. Then she tosses it in a mustardy dressing with celery and chives. Grace likes to wrap the salad in Bibb lettuce leaves for an inside-out sandwich. You may choose to serve any way you'd like. Note: you can prepare the rye croutons in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices of seeded rye bread, cut into 1 by 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I use Hellmans)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup celery, chopped (3 ribs)
- 1 lb smoked ham, thickly sliced, then cut into 1 by 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, coarsely shredded (2 Cups)
- 1/4 cup chives, snipped
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the rye bread cubes with 2 Tablespoons of the canola oil. Bake for about 15 minutes, stirring once, until the bread is lightly toasted. Let cool.
- 3In a bowl, whisk the mustard with the mayo and vinegar. Gradually whisk the remaining 3 Tablespoons of canola oil and season with pepper to taste. Add the chopped celery, ham, Gruyere, snipped chives and the rye bread croutons. Toss well and serve immediately.
- 4Note: the rye bread croutons can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese on Rye Bread Salad
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 667.4
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 45.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 127.8 mg
- Sodium 2542.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 42.5 g