Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A hearty main dish type of salad with substance! Time does not include refrigeration so plan accordingly.
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces ham, cubed,about 2 cups
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed cheddar is good
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, cooked and drained
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce (if you want a zing)
- In large bowl combine, macaroni, ham, cheese cubes and peas.
- In smaller bowl, mix, sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, parmesan, and seasonings.
- Pour dressing over macaroni mix and toss to blend well.
- Refrigerate several hours.
- Remove 30 minutes before serving.
- Toss gently to mix.
- You may need to add more mayo or sour cream for moisture.
I just really didn't care for this salad. When I first made it, I tasted it and thought it was really good. After I refrigerated it overnight and we had it the next evening, I didn't think it was very good. It didn't have much flavor and it tasted kind of funny.
We've also had this with a bit different dressing, using Dijon mustard, a touch of honey and mayo, which is quite good. Laurie's recipe is more sophisticated! We used cellentani (I think that's how it's spelled) which is basically a long curly-cue pasta, hollow like elbow mac. Thanks, Laurie!
This is so GOOD. We loved this macaroni salad. We ate it with Barbecued chicken and ribs. I will defintely be making this one again. Thank you for a wonderful recipe that is definitely a keeper.