Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cooking Light March 2008
Make and share this Ham and Cheese Macaroni Bake With Peas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb uncooked medium elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped lean ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta in boiling water 6 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Combine pasta, ham, and peas in a large bowl.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add milk; bring to simmer.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheeses, salt, and peppers. Pour cheese mixture over pasta mixture; stir to coat. Spoon pasta mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/4 cups. Combine breadcrumbs and butter in a bowl.
- Arrange breadcrumb mixture evenly over pasta mixture. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.