Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Kraft Food and Family Recipe Book
- 2 slices sourdough bread or 2 slices Italian bread
- 1 slice American cheese
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 6 slices smoked ham or 6 slices brown sugar ham
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves or 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- Layer ham, cheese and tomato on one slice of bread.
- Top with second slice of bread.
- Combine mayo and oregano or red pepper and spread on outside of both pieces of bread.
- Cook in skillet on medium heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Flip sandwich and brown reverse side.
I stumbled onto this recipe before I had lunch today and this fit the bill nicely. I made this using the little Orowheat 100 calorie sandwich rounds. I used gouda cheese, smoked ham, oregano and some red pepper flakes. Thanks for posting.
Leah-This made for a very tasty lunch! I used sourdough bread,a slice of cheese on each side to hold it all together,sliced cherry tomatoes(I think that home grown would be fantastic!),black forest ham,low-fat mayo and Italian seasonings...didn't have oregano. This made a great warm sandwich for such a cold Winter day...Thanks!! :)
My husband felt that the oregano should have been omitted.