Recipe by Demandy
A recipe I created from my love of white sauce and cheddar cheese, consisting of a flavorful sauce with peas and ham on top of toast. It's not healthy but good comfort food. I am told it's good for a hangover. Reheats well in microwave. I usually use turkey ham and wheat bread to minimize the unhealthiness.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 6 ounces frozen peas
- 8 -12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 6 slices bread
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, blend flour, mustard powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute butter and garlic in large saucepan over medium heat. When butter is melted, gradually add flour mixture and stir until bubbly and smooth.
- Remove from heat and slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Return to heat and let boil, stirring often so it doesn't stick to bottom of pan.
- Meanwhile, microwave peas in covered bowl for about 4 minutes. Shred cheddar and dice ham.
- Once sauce thickens, add peas, cheddar, and ham. Stick bread slices in the toaster.
- When cheese melts and sauce is blended, spoon sauce over toast and serve.