Recipe by Sonya01
something different for breakfast
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
What a nice change from the usual ham and cheese sandwich. I couldn't find unsliced white bread so I used olive oil bread. I used swiss cheese and it was sooooooo good. I loved the coarse grain mustard with the ham and swiss cheese. Made for May, 2009 Aussie/NZ Swap.
- 1 loaf white bread
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 180 g provolone cheese or 180 g swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 100 g shaved ham
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 60 g butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut four 3cm-thick slices from loaf. Cut a pocket lengthways through the centre of each slice of bread (do not cut all the way through). Spread inside of pockets with mustard. Fill with cheese and ham.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or barbecue plate over medium heat. Add half the butter and 1 tablespoon oil. Brush surface to coat. Dip bread, 1 slice at a time, into egg mixture and turn to coat. Hold over dish to drain. Cook, in batches, for 3 minutes each side or until golden, adding remaining butter and oil as required. Slice French toast in half crossways. Serve.