1/3 Photos of Ham and Cheese Empanadas
Chef Jean's Note:
This was listed as a top 5 breakfast in Peru on About.com. Although these are not traditional empanandas because they are made with puff pastry dough, they are still very popular, especially for breakfast. They are often shaped as a square, maybe to distinguish them from the classic round empanadas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Melt butter in saucepan on medium-low heat.
- 3Whisk flour into butter, and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- 4Whisk milk into flour/butter mixture and bring to boil, stirring. Sauce will thicken slightly.
- 5Whisk 2 eggs into mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 -2 minutes more or until sauce has thickened.
- 6Add grated cheese and parmesan and stir until melted. Remove from heat and add cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- 7Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry dough on a floured surface to 12 inches square. With a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into 12 3 x 4 inch rectangles.
- 8.Mix egg yolk with water, and brush the edges of half of the rectangles with the egg yolk mixture.
- 9Place a piece of ham in the center of the rectangles brushed with egg yolk. There should be an edge of dough all around the ham. Top ham with 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture.
- 10Cover the ham and cheese with one of the plain rectangles, and firmly press down around the edges to seal.
- 11Repeat with other sheet of puff pastry. Pastries may be frozen at this point, or kept in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours before baking.
- 12Prick the top of the empanadas several times with a fork, and brush tops lightly with the egg yolk mixture.
- 13Bake 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- 14Serve hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.5
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 62.6 mg
- Sodium 386.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 10.1 g