Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a way to turn ham and Swiss into an elegant and delicious entree.
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 lb fresh asparagus or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen asparagus cuts
- 12 (6 inch) crepes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sauterne white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 ounces grated gruyere cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Cut tough ends off asparagus spears. Steam until just tender.
- Immediately plunge spears into iced water and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, salt, and freshly ground black pepper; cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the flour and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until flour turns golden brown.
- Add half-and-half and milk and whisk until smooth.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the grated cheese in a separate dish and set aside.
- Add the remaining cheese to the sauce and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in wine, Dijon mustard, and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.
- Remove 1 cup of sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Stir ham and asparagus into remaining sauce and mix thoroughly. Simmer until heated through.
- Place one crepe on a flat surface. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the ham mixture across the middle of the crepe.
- Roll up crepe and place on a platter seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining crepes.
- Pour the reserved sauce over the filled crepes.
- Sprinkle the finished crepes with reserved cheese and the parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Rita.......I'm so glad to give the first review of this recipe. Wow, it is so delicious. The only problem was that I couldn't eat more than 1 1/2. (I tried to eat 2, but they are very rich and very filling). But that means we have leftovers, and know they will disappear quickly.
I used a crepe recipe that made 16 and I have some leftover filling.......so don't you know that I will have a quick meal on hand this week.
Thanks for posting, I've been looking for a ham and asparagus recipe for years and this is exactly what I wanted.