Recipe by Dissie
Found this recipe with the Sunday paper coupons and tried it Sunday evening. This was really good. It says to add bacon as garnish, but I added it into the cornbread while mixing, and it was good. I used broccoli but I bet the spinach would be just as tasty. Wondering how a can of corn would be.....
Top Review by Graymare47 # 252632
I made this for supper, tonight. I used spinach as I don't tolerate brocolli very well. I forgot that my SO doesn't like spinach. He has given this recipe a resounding YES!! I loved it, too!
- 3 slices bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 (6 ounce) packagebuttermilk cornbread mix
- 6 dashes hot sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2 cups ham, cooked and diced to 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon in 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet until bacon is crisp, then crumble bacon. RESERVE 1 tablespoon bacon grease and drain the rest. Return bacon grease to cast iron skillet and place in oven to heat pan.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl, add milk, butter, hot sauce, cornbread mix stirring until blended.
- Stir in onion, spinach or broccoli, ham and 1 1/2 cups cheese into mixture.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven.
- Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Let rest 5 minutes and garnish the top with crumbled bacon and parsley.