Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Found this recipe with the Sunday paper coupons and tried it Sunday evening. This was really good. It says to add bacon as garnish, but I added it into the cornbread while mixing, and it was good. I used broccoli but I bet the spinach would be just as tasty. Wondering how a can of corn would be.....
- 3 slices bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 (6 ounce) packagebuttermilk cornbread mix
- 6 dashes hot sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2 cups ham, cooked and diced to 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon in 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet until bacon is crisp, then crumble bacon. RESERVE 1 tablespoon bacon grease and drain the rest. Return bacon grease to cast iron skillet and place in oven to heat pan.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl, add milk, butter, hot sauce, cornbread mix stirring until blended.
- Stir in onion, spinach or broccoli, ham and 1 1/2 cups cheese into mixture.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven.
- Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Let rest 5 minutes and garnish the top with crumbled bacon and parsley.
I made this for supper, tonight. I used spinach as I don't tolerate brocolli very well. I forgot that my SO doesn't like spinach. He has given this recipe a resounding YES!! I loved it, too!