Recipe by Belinda in Austin, TX
This is a recipe from Rachel Ray. It is so decadent, even my 16 year old son can only eat one, maybe two! Even though it's rich and wonderful, it's super easy, especially because of the use of eggroll wrappers, instead of manicotti pasta!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 8 refrigerated egg roll wraps
- 8 slices deli ham
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In small saucepan, heat butter, over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in cream, and cook, stirring continuously, for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove mixture from heat, and stir in salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, and egg.
- Spread a thin layer (about 1 1/2 cups) of sauce in the bottom of a 9X9 baking dish.
- Lay an eggroll wrapper on a work surface.
- Spread with about 3 tablespoons ricotta mixture, top with slice of ham, then roll up, jellyroll style.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers, and place, seamside down, in dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce over canneloni, top with Parmesan, and bake for 20 minutes, until golden and bubbly.