Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Original recipe from the 9/17/08 News Sentinel; posted here for safekeeping with my "healthy" adjustments. Update: Just made these and my are they good! They puff up to become quite large, and they make for a hearty, filling breakfast with some fresh fruit or sliced tomatoes. I imagine you could use other cheeses, veggies, or meats (sausage, bacon?) to make your perfect muffin, too!
- 354.88 ml flour
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 118.29 ml egg substitute
- 314.66 ml fat-free buttermilk
- 4.92 ml oil
- 29.58 ml Smart Balance butter spread, melted
- 236.59 ml green onion
- 170.09 g turkey ham, diced
- 118.29 ml reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 118.29 ml bell pepper, diced
- Preheat oven to 400 and spray a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Whisk together dry ingredients and spices.
- Make a well and whisk together eggs, buttermilk, oil, and butter. Stir in scallions, ham, cheese, and bell pepper.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet gently until just moistened.
- Scoop the batter into the pan (cups will be very full).
- Bake 20-25 minutes and allow to cool 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Will keep in the fridge for 3 days or frozen for one month.
What a great idea. I could not find my muffin pan, used a silicone pan that I did not even remember I had which I think is for muffin tops - not very big muffins, but that way, you get to eat more of them. I used left-over ham, more green onions and whatever cheese it was that I had. They stayed in good shape for several days - I'd throw one in my bag to take to work, zap in the microwave and enjoy the envious looks of my officemates.
i really liked these and will making again they would be a fast breakfast for kids to take with . make these they are great used regular eggs just measure them beat up
Absolutely wonderful muffins, these! They were not only a great breakfast muffin, but made for great daytime snacks as well! And, believe me, any next-day leftovers won't be around very long either! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in 123 Hits tag]