1/4 Photos of Ham and Cheese Breakfast Strudels
I have been going through all of my TOH magazines pulling out the recipes I had marked to try. This recipe is so versatile and can be made ahead and frozen, then just take out of bake. Can replace swiss cheese with another cheese (I like cheddar also) and could use bacon or sausage for the the ham. In first step, melt butter, could add in minced onion/shallot/garlic or red/green bell pepper to soften and then continue with recipe. Also could use light for reduced fat butter and cheeses, egg substitute and skim milk to reduce the calories. Have fun with the recipe and make it fit your family preferences!!! Update 7/31/11 - I made these this morning as written except subbing cheddar cheese for the Swiss and I added some sliced green onion. What a great breakfast or brunch recipe, as they can be made ahead, frozen and then baked on the day you want to serve it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 lb ham, fully cooked (about 3/4 cup)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheeses and salt. Set aside.
- 2In a large nonstick skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add eggs to the pan; cook and stir until almost set. Stir in ham and reserved cheese sauce; heat through. Remove from the heat.
- 3Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons bread crumbs. Fold in half lengthwise; brush again with butter. Spoon 1/2 cup filling onto phyllo about 2 inches from a short side. Fold side and edges over filling and roll up.
- 4Brush with butter. Repeat. Place desired number of strudels on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon cheese and 1 teaspoon parsley. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- 5To freeze and bake strudels: Individually wrap uncooked strudels in waxed paper and foil. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- 6Place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Breakfast Strudels
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.2
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 234.9 mg
- Sodium 836.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 16.1 g