This sounds interesting. I grabbed it from a cookbook on my mother's shelf called 'Grandma's Casserole '. I wanted to put in on here so I have it when I am back in the UK. It sounds like it would be a nice brunch dish and maybe especially good for an Easter breakfast or something like that. Coking time doesn't include chilling time since it could be 6 hours or it could be overnight.
- Grease 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Spread 1 side of each bread slice with butter.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes and place on bottom of prepared dish.
- Top with ham and sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl.
- Whisk in milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture.
- Cover; refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake bread pudding, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown and knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Garnish, if desired and then cut into squares.
- Serve immediately.