1/2 Photos of Ham and Cheese Arancini (Italian Fried Rice Balls)
Yummy, comforting deep-fried rice balls filled with ham and onion, stuffed with melty, gooey cheese! I came up with these tasty little morsels after having something similar at a tapas restaurant in my hometown. Sadly, that restaurant closed its doors, so I was forced to recreate my favorite dish. *I have made these with havarti and swiss cheeses instead of the cheddar: all are equally good!* NOTE: After reading the review, please note: You definitely want to use rice that is somewhat sticky. Do not use leftover fluffy rice that has had the starch rinsed off as they will not hold together well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4-1/2 cup ham, finely diced
- 1/3 cup butter, melted, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter (for sauteing onions)
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated or 2/3 cup romano cheese
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 1 -2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (cut into small cubes)
- oil, for deep-frying
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour, for coating
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs or 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1Saute onion in 1 T butter over medium heat until translucent and beginning to brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 2In a bowl lightly beat 2 eggs. Stir in cooked rice, ham, melted butter, Parmesan cheese, sauteed onion, seasoned salt, garlic salt, parsley and pepper.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Roll into 1-1/2-inch balls.and press a cheese cube into each ball, reshaping around the cheese.(I have used havarti and swiss in place of the cheddar with fantastic results!).
- 5Place the flour into a small bowl. Whisk 2 eggs in a second small bowl. Place the dry breadcrumbs in a third small bowl.
- 6Dip each ball into flour, then into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs.
- 7Heat oil to 375 degrees, then fry rice balls until golden brown (about 4 minutes). You can also shallow fry them in oil, turning to brown.
- 8Drain on paper towels and enjoy! They are nice dipped in french onion dip, ranch dip or all on their own.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Arancini (Italian Fried Rice Balls)
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 800.5
- Calories from Fat 346
- Total Fat 38.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 322.3 mg
- Sodium 970.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 31.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: