Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple brunch/lunch dish. Kids really like it.
- 10 ounces coarsely-grated cheddar cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 5 ounces ham, chopped fine
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 8 inch square baking pan.
- Melt Cheddar in milk over moderate heat, stirring, and let cool.
- Spread bread with butter and arrange 4 slices buttered side down in baking pan.
- Top with half of ham and make another layer in the same way.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, mustard, Tabasco and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk in Cheddar mixture and ladle mixture over bread.
- Let stand, covered loosely, overnight in refrigerator.
- Put in a larger pan, add enough hot water to larger pan to come halfway up sides.
- Bake in middle of oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.