Recipe by Lorac
An easy to make hearty main dish soup. Add hot rolls or bread - and dinner is ready !
Top Tweak by Chef Tweaker
Very good. I followed it pretty much as written except that I didn't have the full amount of potato and I used milk instead of cream. I would say the yield was off... it made 9 cups of soup (and that was with less potato) so 4 servings would be pretty hefty! Also it had lots of "innerds" so I think it could have easily had 2 or more cups of broth. I added the cabbage toward the end with the onion, saving the milk for just at the end. I'm glad I did because I like my cabbage to have substance and I think with adding it earlier it would have disintigrated. I served it with Recipe #35992 which went great with it!
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 6 cups roughly chopped cabbage
- 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup light cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add broth, ham, cabbage, potatoes, onion, carrot, bay leaf and parsley to a soup pot, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add corn and cream, simmer uncovered until corn is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and ladle into soup bowls.