Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy to make hearty main dish soup. Add hot rolls or bread - and dinner is ready !
Make and share this Ham and Cabbage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 6 cups roughly chopped cabbage
- 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup light cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Add broth, ham, cabbage, potatoes, onion, carrot, bay leaf and parsley to a soup pot, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add corn and cream, simmer uncovered until corn is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and ladle into soup bowls.
Excellent and easy to make! I added 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
This was surprisingly good! I browned some bacon and then sauteed the chopped ham, onions and carrots in the same pan for a minute before going on with the recipe. (and added the chopped bacon too). I didn't have any corn, and I used milk, but the end result is scrumptious anyway. I'm looking forward to my lunches this week! Thank you for posting!
Decided to try this last minute so a couple of items were necessarily substituted. 1. Light cream (1/3 cup skim milk, 2/3 cup whipping cream) 2. Frozen corn (1-15oz can whole kernel sweet corn) Used all s&p. Simple and easy. Great flavor!